FCAT & Other Information
- In 2010-2011, Plato Academy students continued to improve on their past successes by scoring an astonishing average of 23 percentage points above the State of Florida average!
- Our Third Grade Math and Reading achieved perfect 100% scores!
- Our Fifth Graders scored an amazing 98% in reading, 29 points above the state average!
- Our Sixth Graders scored a superb 93% in reading, 26 points above the state average!
In 2009-2010, Plato Academy students continued to improve on their past successes by scoring an astonishing average of 20 percentage points above the State of Florida average!
- Our Third Grade Math and Fourth Grade Writing achieved perfect 100% scores!
- Our Fifth Grade Science scored an 85%, 36 points above the state average!
- Our Third Graders scored a stunning 97% in Reading, 25 points above the state average!
Below is a congratulatory letter from Pinellas County Public Schools Superintendent
Julie Janssen dated July 1, 2010.
"Dear Plato Academy Staff,
Congratulations to you on your success on the 2010 FCAT. Your students posted outstanding gains this year in two areas, with a 17 percentage point gain in fifth-grade science and a 21 percentage point gain in sixth-grade math. Their achievement is an outstanding accomplishment, and an indication of what can happen when a good team pulls together. I am extremely proud of you, and I am grateful for what you do every day for our children. Best of luck for continued success in the coming school year."
-Julie Janssen, Pinellas County Public Schools Superintendent
Our Third Graders scored 97% in Reading, 26 points above the state average!
Our Fifth Graders scored 96% in Reading, 25 points above the state average!
Our Fourth Graders also scored 97% in Reading, 23 points above the state average!
- Plato Academy 4th graders scored the highest out of the elementary schools in the State of Florida, soaring to a perfect score of 100% in both Reading and Math!
- Plato Academy 3rd graders once again scored among the highest in the State of Florida with 97% in Math, and 89% in Reading!
- In 2006-2007, Plato Academy scored the highest out of the 1989 schools in Florida; soaring to a perfect score of 100% in both Math and Reading.
- In 2005-2006, Only 7 schools including Plato Academy out of the 1,989 schools in Florida scored 100% in math.
Plato versus Other Public Schools
At Plato, the students are not just another number as in most public schools. The small school and class sizes create a family environment that affords individualized attention and care. At Plato, teaching time is maximized as disruptions are minimized. We offer additional instruction in Greek, music and art.
Plato versus Private Schools
Unlike private schools, Plato is highly accountable for its performance to the local school district and Florida Department of Education. In contrast to most private schools, all of Plato’s teachers are certified and are paid at the highest competitive level.
Over 25 Reasons to Choose Plato Academy
- Small class sizes, private school setting
- Accountability to local School District
- Challenging curriculum, nurturing environment, strict and fair discipline
- All Florida certified teachers
- Technology rich environment
- Innovative teaching methods
- Individualized instruction
- 350+ new portable laptop computers
- Individual laptops for each 3rd - 8th grade student
- At least 5 computers in each K-2nd classroom
- Smartboards in all classrooms - first in the State of Florida
- Among the highest FCAT scores in the state
- Long waiting list indicating parent satisfaction
- Weekly homework for all students
- Recess time for all class levels
- Instruction in Greek as second language
- Committed to character and family values
- Family friendly and safe atmosphere
- State of the art video surveillance and recording system throughout campus
- Parent participation required
- Mandatory uniform policy
- Ultimate learning environment - 0 tolerance
- Committed to the success of each child
- Actively teach kindness & peace
- Nutritious hot lunches available with fresh vegetables and fruits served daily
- Educational field trips
- Pre-School available on campus
- Great before & after care enrichment programs including:
- Tutoring in reading, writing, mathematics & Greek
- Computer club
- Tabletop games
- Library time
- Music/dance lessons
- Organized sports
Why Greek as a Second Language?
Learning a second language in elementary school is almost second nature to children. More importantly, being able to communicate and function in Greek, the language that is the basis for math, science, and the English language will enable students to excel throughout school, and future professions. Also, research has shown that “learning a second language fosters brain development”.
The safety of our students and staff is a top priority. Our state of the art surveillance and recording system aids in the monitor of the school campus. The school building is well secured and all visitors are identified and screened before they are allowed entrance. Fire drill and safety inspections of the school are held monthly as well.